- Long Beach, CA
What you'll be doing
- Works closely with terminal staff to prepare department plans while determining the appropriate workforce to hire for an efficient and cost effective completion of plan. Supervises union represented personnel in proper operating procedures and as needed will counsel, discipline or make termination recommendations to ensure an efficient operation while working within the definitions of the labor agreement. Enforces productivity levels by supervising longshore workers in making multiple rounds within the terminal and a follow up assessments prior to shift end. Completes various reports and forms such as shift production, payroll and safety summaries. Produces reports to respective parties within required deadlines. Supports, monitors and trouble shoots, when necessary, terminal operating systems, ensuring data is accurate. Additional technology related duties may apply. Plans, holds and documents daily safety meetings; partnering with area health, safety & environment to understand and train longshore workers to adhere to safety procedures while implementing plans to address safety hazards. Reports problems and issues to appropriate manager of great impact and complexity to the operation. Responsible for learning, navigating and adhering to all union contracts. Performs other related duties as required.
What your background should be
- 2-5 years managing related union labor. Thorough knowledge or principles of terminal operations. Experience with computerized operating systems. Knowledge of safety and accident prevention codes and regulations. Knowledge and understanding of cargo stowage and stability strongly desired. The ability to climb up and down a ladder on a vessel multiple times within a shift. The ability to work in changing hot and cold climates based on weather conditions. The ability to work in an environment that may be hazardous to persons unable to see and hear fast moving equipment. The ability to drive 50%. Requires the ability to manage a large, complex and diverse workforce in a fast paced environment. Requires problem solving skills to respond quickly and effectively to operational issues. Requires the ability to plan and organize projects in a fast paced environment and be available to work varied hours, shifts and days. Requires the ability to communicate effectively with union workforce and other staff. Requires the ability to analyze and trouble shoot computer programs.
Required Schooling / Training
- BS or BA degree in marine administration, transportation, operations management, engineering, or equivalent.
Who is the client company
- The client company is the largest terminal operator and stevedore in the United States.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org