Principal Scientist-Analytical Chemistry
- Groton, CT
What you'll be doing
- The successful applicant will be responsible for structure elucidation of impurities and degradants and characterization of active pharmaceutical ingredients in drug products and formulations. It is also expected the person who fills this role will investigate new technologies and analytical approaches for utilizing existing in-house instrumentation to implement new problem solving strategies into the group workflow. The individual will be expected to provide strong technical and strategic input to ensure timely execution of deliverables as well as innovative scientific approaches to all aspects of mass spectrometry and chromatographic support for pharmaceutical development. The primary focus of this position is using mass spectrometry and chromatographic methodology (prep/semi-preparative) for the isolation and/or identification of minor components in support of structure elucidation efforts. The successful candidate will be expected to work efficiently and effectively in a multidisciplinary role.
What your background should be
- PhD in chemistry or closely related discipline (natural products chemistry, material science, chemical engineering, etc) with 0-5 years experience. BS/MS with approximately 10 years of practical/theoretical experience. Industrial experience in small molecule structure elucidation using mass spectrometry. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in the fundamental science of isolation techniques, mass spectrometry and experience in the area of small molecule structure elucidation utilizing MS. Ability to meet project milestones with minimal supervision, manage workload for specific projects, ensure delivery of technology, data and documents in support of a wide range of internal and externally focused projects. Experience in problem solving, instrument troubleshooting and mentoring. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills. Working knowledge of proper laboratory notebook documentation practices. Experience with a wide-variety of software and information systems (e.g. electronic lab notebooks, Xcalibur, MassLynx and HyStar, Empower, etc). Knowledge of appropriate ionization sources, mass analyzers (FTICR preferable) and detectors required for structure elucidation of both API and complex formulations. Ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams (NMR, MS, isolation scientists) to solve challenging structure elucidation problems as well as contributing to drug development teams (analysts, chemists, formulators, project managers) as a subject matter expert. Working knowledge in preparative and semi-preparative isolations of minor components in complex mixtures.
Required Schooling / Training
- BS/MS required. Ph.D. in chemistry or a related field preferred.
Who is the client company
- A multinational pharmaceutical corporation which develops and produces medicines and vaccines for a wide range of medical disciplines.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to email@example.com