Medical Records Technician
- Marion, IL
What you'll be doing
- The medical records technician (coder) is responsible for performing a quality review of patient care documents and assigning codes specific for the type of care provided. This position is responsible for maintaining the quality of patient records, assigning of appropriate international classification of disease clinical modification (ICD-9-CM), current procedural terminology (CPT-4) and healthcare common procedure coding system (HCPCS) codes, and various other duties as assigned. Performs inpatient and outpatient coding on billable and/or non-billable patient care encounters and develops skill and knowledge of medical record coding and has basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and diseases. Selects and assigns codes from the current version of the international classification of diseases-clinical modification, current procedural terminology, evaluation and management codes, HCPCS, and modifier assignment. Assigns diagnosis or diagnoses and procedure code(s) based on the accepted coding practices, guidelines, conventions, and policy with instruction from a senior coder. Utilizes the facility computer system and software applications to code, abstract, record, and transmit data to the national database in Austin. Uses a variety of window-based applications in day-to-day activities and duties, such as Outlook, Excel, Word, and Access; develops use of the medical record applications (Vista and CPRS) as well as the code selection software. Ensures current versions of all software applications are loaded and functional after any updates or changes. Performs other duties as assigned.
What your background should be
- Executive core qualifications (ECQs) needed.
Required Schooling / Training
- Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. department of education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement. Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. department of education.
Who is the client company
- The client organization provides patient care and federal benefits to veterans and their dependents.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org