Legal File Clerk
- Houston, TX
What you'll be doing
- Read, scan, document and route incoming mail, prepare outgoing mail, including mailing labels, cmrrr, messenger, and overnight courier forms. Maintain document files, including tabbing and indexing litigation files, input attorney time. Coordinate the completion of photocopy, fax and messenger requests. Draft and prepare legal and non-legal documents (e.g., pleadings, summonses, complaints, motions, subpoenas, general correspondence, etc.). Perform other clerical duties such as scheduling hearings and appointments, answering telephones, and giving information to callers (as directed and as appropriate requiring discretion). Transcribe, compose, and type routine correspondence. Relieve receptionist. Open and close client files. Maintain client files, prepare file indices and insert tabs, type file labels, assist with copy tasks, type memoranda and correspondence and other documents as back-up to secretaries. Search for missing files as needed, perform relief receptionist/secretary duties. Assist with special projects that arise.
What your background should be
- Knowledge of format, procedures and specialized terminology. Ability to read and comprehend simple to complex instructions, short correspondence, and memoranda; ability to write simple correspondence; ability to spell. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to type a minimum of 45 wpm utilizing current word processing software; ability to use computer, photocopy, fax and other equipment to complete documents; ability to establish and maintain cordial and courteous working relationships with co-workers, other firm employees and outside contacts in a fast-paced demanding environment.
Required Schooling / Training
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Who is the client company
- Concern about law services.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org