Laboratory Research Assistant
- Austin, TX
What you'll be doing
- The laboratory research assistants essential functions is to perform field assays of tawny crazy ant, native ant, and phorid fly abundances and experiments on species interactions and ecology. Conduct behavioral assays in the laboratory. Conduct growth rate experiments, phorid culturing experiments, pathogen transmission experiments, micro dissections of phorid flies and ants. Sort, identify and record ants and other arthropods from pitfall traps. Identify ants and phorid flies to species level and other arthropods to order level. Identify and record phorid flies from traps. Record all data in field data sheets, and enter data into spreadsheets. Use GPS to set out transects and record features. Store and label specimens in alcohol vials or in pinned collections. Curate materials and maintain records.
What your background should be
- A combination of two years of experience in a natural science field or a technical laboratory is required. Ability to strong work ethic and attention to detail. Ability to work outside throughout the summer and carry loads over rough ground. Ability to tolerance of heat and sting bites. Fine motor skills. Commitment to safety. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate. Must have strong background and interest in entomology and ecology. Experience in field ecological studies and experiments. Experience with insect identification. Experience with micro-dissection. Laboratory experience in chemistry. Experience with molecular lab procedures. Must have computer skills including familiarity with spreadsheet manipulation, analysis and graphing in Microsoft Excel. Experience is using GPS. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills needed. Ability to perform as a member of a dynamic research team. Must be able to work in any weather condition, around standard office conditions, around chemicals and repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation.
Required Schooling / Training
- High school graduation or GED is required and undergraduate degree in biological science is preferred.
Who is the client company
- This is an educational institute.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to email@example.com