- Houston, TX
What you'll be doing
- The primary purpose of the genetic counselor position is the delivery genetic counseling services for individuals with genetically caused and predisposed disorders or diagnosed with or at risk for cancers with hereditary genetic components. Includes the ability to elicit and interpret individual and family medical and psychosocial histories, provide cancer risk assessment, communicate pertinent disease and risk information clearly, provide counseling regarding genetic testing including the results, and support patient psychosocial needs. The genetic counselor provides education to the public, students and health care professionals in hereditary cancer and genetic counseling. The genetic counselor functions as part of a multidisciplinary team including physicians, Ph.D.s, nurses and other allied health personnel. Counselors work in an interdisciplinary setting, with opportunity for participation in collaborative research efforts in both clinical and community-based settings. This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
What your background should be
- 3-5 years of experience in risk assessment and counseling for adult onset diseases is required. Applicant should be eligible for certification by the American board of genetic counseling or American board of medical genetics. Applicant requires having advanced oral and written communication skills; ability to work with diverse individuals and community groups; and ability to work independently and possesses organization/time management and prioritization skills.
Required Schooling / Training
- Post-baccalaureate degree in genetic counseling or related field is required.
Who is the client company
- The client company is one of the most comprehensive teaching hospitals in the United States, with leading specialists in every field of medicine.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org