Claims Staff Counsel
- Baton Rouge, LA
What you'll be doing
- Handle basic and semi-complex files/cases as assigned including initial in-take of file, conducting initial client interview and reviewing existing information summations, reports, and statements. Maintain updated records on insured persons, including contact information. Review status of service upon confirmation of service preparer and file appearance, jury demand, and appropriate responsive pleading. File all court documents with the clerk of that court. Prepare and propound discovery on opposing party. Review answers to discovery on opposing party. Defend the insured persons at depositions, interposing objections when appropriate. Prepare and file appropriate motions during litigation including motions to compel and to bar. Handle all court calls for the assigned cases including all status hearings, case management hearings, pre-trial conferences and trials. Handle trials for assigned cases including open argument, examinations of witness, legal trial motions, jury instruction, and closing arguments. Handle arbitration hearings including opening argument, direct and cross examinations of witnesses, legal technical motions, and closing arguments. Respond to subpoenas issued on the company. Perform miscellaneous research projects as assigned by the company.
What your background should be
- Valid law license in applicable states. Previous litigation experience preferred. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical journals/procedures, and financial reports and data. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, employees, clients, customers, and the general public. Excellent verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to maintain the highest level of discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Required Schooling / Training
- Juris doctorate degree required.
Who is the client company
- This company provides individual consumers non-standard personal automobile insurance policies and other related products through its subsidiaries, independent agents and unaffiliated underwriting agencies in the United States.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org