American Sign Language Interpreter
- Brockton, MA
What you'll be doing
- Responsible for immediately and effectively answering requests for interpretation throughout the hospital, health center or affiliated entity with a priority for emergency and more urgent requests. Responsible to arrive on time to the appointments and to provide services from the point of entry throughout discharge. Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms, complex medical information from medical providers to patients, including interpretation of consent forms, diagnoses, during medical procedures, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information. Assists patients and clinical providers throughout the hospital system in a professional and courteous manner. Provides the highest quality of service at each appointment to every patient and if necessary refers the patient to the appropriate resource. Seeks evaluation, certification and additional training in interpreting, health care practices and beliefs and cultural differences. Maintains an environment that promotes collaborative work relationships and provides assistance to the interpreter services staff to perform office related tasks as needed. Maintains complete and accurate written records of services rendered and statistics of all patient related information. Resolves most issues that arise in daily responsibilities, answer questions and makes appropriate referrals. Understands language as an expression of culture, recognizes the underlying assumptions of each party about medicine, the encounter, the illness etc.; uses this understanding to empower patient and provider to better understand each other. Encourages and fosters direct communication between provider and patient. Maintains professional distance and integrity. Diffuses conflict between parties by remaining calm and impartial. Clarifies instructions, follow up steps in a diplomatic, effective manner.
What your background should be
- Minimum one year of experience in medical setting. Must be a certified sign language interpreter. Must have knowledge of medical terminology, basic anatomy, physiology and diagnostic procedures and treatments. MCDHH screened certification by the national registry for the deaf. Must be fluent, both verbal and written in English and fluent in American sign language. Flexible to meet scheduling needs and handle often unpredictable changes. Sound judgment and confidence. Ability to handle multiple tasks. Detail-oriented and accurate.
Required Schooling / Training
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
Who is the client company
- This is a community-based, acute-care hospital.
- If you are interested in this position, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org